THE NT HAS ITS FIRST EVER RENEWABLE HYDROGEN STRATEGY
The NT Government has released the Territory's first ever Renewable Hydrogen Strategy.
Renewable hydrogen is an emerging zero-emissions fuel that could transform the NT economy by creating thousands of jobs and huge export opportunities.
The Environment Centre NT spokesperson Monica Tan says, "This strategy is an excellent starting point. It outlines exciting next steps such as developing pilots for hydrogen application in the Territory and encouraging trials of hydrogen technologies in remote area power systems.
"Now let's roll up our sleeves and get to work on this."
- Exceptional renewable energy resources enabling zero-emissions hydrogen at low cost
- Existing infrastructure and experience in LNG exports, transferable to a hydrogen industry
- Existing trading relationships with customers in East Asia.
"These advantages mean the Territory will be able to export renewable hydrogen to East Asia at a lower cost than most competitors," says Tan. "We are pushing for an ambitious and achievable aim for the Territory to capture two-thirds of Australia’s renewable hydrogen export industry."
By 2030 this could mean for the NT:
- 960 direct jobs in the hydrogen production and export industry
- 2,830 new jobs created indirectly
- $590 million direct economic contribution
- Over $2.9 billion FOB (Free on Board, or the value of goods at purchase).
Producing this amount of hydrogen would require around 5.5 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity, an important part of The Environment Centre NT's 10 Gigawatt Vision of the NT's future.
Read the full report, produced in conjunction with Beyond Zero Emissions, to learn why the NT is perfectly placed to become a renewable hydrogen global leader.