The Environment Centre NT (ECNT) is the peak community sector environment organisation in the Northern Territory. We have been working hard to protect the Territory environment since 1983.
ECNT is lobbying for a strong Climate Policy for the Territory, including a net zero emissions target by 2050 and a ban on shale gas fracking.
ECNT advocates for protection of the uniqueTerritory landscapes and biodiversity. This includes through strong environmental legislation, including stronger laws for land clearing and mining rehabilitation.
ECNT works closely with local community groups Climate Action Darwin, Waste Free NT and COOLmob. We are helping to foster sustainable communities by supporting and empowering the community members to take action.
We achieve this by
- advocating for the improvement of environmental policies and performance of governments, landholders, business and industry;
- partnering on projects and campaigns with conservation and climate organisations, governments, Indigenous organisations, community groups, businesses, and landholders;
- raising awareness amongst community, government, business and industry about environmental issues and assisting people to reduce their environmental impact;
supporting community members to participate in decision making processes and action;
- recognising the rights, aspirations, responsibilities and knowledge of the Territory’s Indigenous peoples;
- acknowledging that environmental issues have a social dimension.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners, The Larrakia people, on whose land we meet, live and work. We pay our respects to their elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge Australia’s First Nations were self-governing in accordance with their traditional laws and customs, and they never ceded sovereignty of their lands, seas and waters.